VIVAT International works closely with NGOs and movements on the Global Compact for Migration and International Migration Review Forum (IMRF). VIVAT Cosponsored a Joint Oral Statement delivered by International Catholic Migration Commission.
Joint NGO Oral Statement to be delivered at the 41st session of the Human Rights Council
Item 3 – General Debate
I am honoured to deliver this statement on behalf of over 40 NGOs and networks.
We are deeply concerned by widespread and growing violations of the human rights of migrants and an environment where those who seek to protect them are increasingly criminalized.
The Global Compact for Migration provides technical guidance and a cooperative framework for the implementation of existing legal commitments. It is mobilizing resources to support States in this.
We are asking you to do more and to do better to save lives and uphold human rights. The Compact can help you do this.
Civil Society is already using the Compact at regional and national level, often in partnership with States, for example:
- Civil society in Central America have a pilot programme to find and identify missing migrants supporting States’ implementation of Objectives 8 and 9.
- Migrant Forum in Asia has led consultations with governments and other stakeholders throughout Asia.
- Cross-Regional Center for Refugees and Migrants has developed a baseline assessment on the GCM for the MENA region.
- The International Detention Coalition is working with States to develop a cross regional platform on alternatives to child immigration detention in line with Objective 13(h)
We believe these activities can inspire similar measures, but we need all States to create an environment that enables us to do so and we need all States to take leadership on implementation.
The human rights of migrants deserve the acknowledgement, respect, and urgent action of all of us.
Delivered by Mantalin Kyrou
Delivered by the International Catholic Migration Commission, this statement is co-sponsored by the following NGOs:
- ACT Alliance
- Alianza Americas
- Asylum Access
- Caritas Internationalis
- Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd
- Congregations of St. Joseph
- Defence for Children International
- International Catholic Migration Commission
- International Commission of Jurists
- International Council of Voluntary Associations (ICVA)
- International Detention Coalition
- International Movement Against All Forms of Discrimination and Racism (IMADR)
- Migrant Forum in Asia
- Save the Children
- Terre des Hommes International Federation
- Translators without Borders
- VIVAT International
- World Organization for Early Childhood Education (OMEP)
- Action Secours Ambulance (ASA)
- Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network (APRRN)
- Asociación Rumiñahui
- Bloque latinamericano y el Caribe sobre Migración
- Casa Monarca ayuda humanitaria al migrante
- Center for Migrant Advocacy, Philippines (CMA-Phils)
- Centro de Atención y Desarrollo Integral Migrante (CADIM Oxnard)
- Centro de Recursos Centroamericanos Del Norte California (CARECEN)
- Centro de Atención a la Familia Migrante e Indígena (CAFAMI)
- Civil Society Action Committee
- Comision de Accion Social Menonita (CASM)
- Destination Unknown Network
- Estancia del Migrante González y Martínez
- FM4 – Paso Libre
- Fundación para la Justicia y el Estado Democrático de Derecho
- Global Coalition on Migration
- Institution para las Mujeres en la Migración (IMUMI)
- Instituto de Estudios y Divulgación sobre Migración (INEDIM)
- International Presentation Association
- NGO Coalition on Migration
- Organismo Cristiano de Desarrollo Intergral de Honduras (OCDIH)
- Pacific Islands Association of Non-Government Organisation (PIANGO)
- Plateforme des Organisations Nationales et Territoriales (Pont-Sch)
- Red de Mujeres del Bajío
- Red Internacional de Migración y Desarrollo
- Red Jesuita con Migrantes de América Latina y Caribe (RJM-LAC)
- Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary
- Solidarity Center
- The Mixed Migration Centre
- Women in Migration Network